No. 1 ranked Dustin Johnson has test positive for the coronavirus, forcing him to withdraw Tuesday from the CJ Cup at Shadow Creek. The PGA Tour said in a statement that Johnson notified officials he was experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and was given another test that came back positive. Johnson is the No. 1 player in the world and the reigning PGA Tour player of the year after winning the FedEx Cup for the first time. He has not played since he tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.
Johnson said in a statement, “Obviously, I am very disappointed. I was really looking forward to competing this week, but will do everything I can to return as quickly as possible. I have already had a few calls with the tour’s medical team and appreciation all the support and guidance they have given me.”
Johnson is the 11th player to test positive since the PGA Tour resumed its schedule on June 8. Under the protocols on the PGA Tour, Johnson is to self-isolate for 10 days dating to when he first experienced symptoms and can return if there are no other symptoms.
Editorial credit: Gary Yee / Shutterstock.com