Reigning champion Bianca Andreescu said on Thursday she will not defend her title at the U.S. Open in New York due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Andreescu beat Serena Williams last year to become Canada’s first tennis Grand Slam singles champion. Andreescu joins a growing list of high-profile players to pull out of the Aug. 31-Sept. 13 event.

The 20-year-old Canadian has not competed since she suffered a knee injury last October at the WTA Finals in Shenzhen. “After many discussions with those closest to me, I have made the difficult decision not to return to New York this year,” said Andreescu, adding, “I have taken this step in order to focus on my match fitness and ensure that I return ready to play at my highest level. The U.S. Open victory last year has been the high point of my career this far and I will miss not being there.”

The United States Tennis Association said the Grand Slam will ve played without spectators, and players will be asked to follow strict measures, including regular testing.

Reigning champion Bianca Andreescu withdraws from US Open

Via sports.yahoo.com
 

Editorial credit: Leonard Zhukovsky / Shutterstock.com

Loading...